Joomla is one of the world’s most popular open source Content Management System
that enables you to build Web sites and powerful online applications. Many aspects like free availability of open source solution,ease-of-use and extensibility have made Joomla the most popular Web site software available. Joomla is written in PHP which is allows users to easily publish their content on the world wide web and intranets. Jooomla is an open source project in which individuals and teams contribute their skills to its development as well as its supporting systems.
There are various versions released like Joomla 1.0, Joomla 1.5, Joomla 1.6, Joomla 1.7 and Joomla 2.5 - this being the latest version released. This version was the first to run on other databases besides MySQL. For improving user experience with Joomla, Joomla 3.0 is planned to be rolled-out in September 2012.
Now we will take a look at the features of Joomla that makes it user favorite:
* Ease of Use and Extensibility
* Page Caching : The biggest performance improvement comes from caching entire page is that entire page gets saved and reused. This can produce pages as much as eight times faster than normal and using half the memory. Speedy page loads are possible with page caching, granular-level module caching, and GZIP page compression.
* Web Services : Remote Procedure Calls via HTTP and XML can be used. You can also integrate XML-RPC services with the Blogger and Joomla APIs
* RSS Feeds: Using Joomla it is easy to integrate RSS feeds from other sources and aggregate them all on your site.
* Newsflashes: There are a many pre-installed modules to show the most popular articles, latest new items, newsflashes, related articles, and more.
* Blogs: Blogs helps to Post and manage articles and content from your desktop. It controls unlimited Joomla sites and also toggles between WYSIWYG and HTML.
* Polls: If there is a need of knowing more about your users, it's easy to create polls with multiple options.
* Website Search: It provides simple link resource for site users and you can sort them into categories and even count every click.
* Template Management: Template shows your site exactly the way you want. You can use one template for entire site or separate templates for different section.
Following are some of popular extensions of Joomla:
1) JTAG MiniCart: It is a shopping cart extension that is available in English and Spanish language. It allows you to showcase your products, add product categories, product images, descriptions and more.
2) JTAG calendar: It is an elegant, feature- rich calendar with 100% Joomla compliant code. It has features such as SMS alerts, social bookmarks [Facebook, Twitter, Google + etc], event commenting, gravatar integration Google maps , and more.
3) JTAG Members: It helps in the management of user profiles with the ability to publish member information in a simple searchable directory.